This guidance is being provided by the Disbursements area of the Controller's Office. Note that DocuSign is the preferred alternative to collecting a handwritten signature and can be used whether you are telecommuting or working on campus. Disbursements will continue to accept email authorizations in lieu of signatures until July 6, 2021, for the Travel Forms Package, e.g., Travel Authorization (TA) and Travel Reimbursement Expense Report (TRER), Mileage & Transportation Form (MTR), and Employee & Student Direct Pay Request (ESDPR).
Please check with other departments/units before submitting a digitally signed form to verify they allow this alternative.
Forms you can submit to Disbursements via DocuSign
Part 1 - Convert your file to a PDF
Skip to Part 2 if the file you are using is already in PDF format.
- Open the Excel (or Word file) form
- Select File > Save as Adobe PDF
- Additional steps for Excel files:
- From the Acrobat PDFMaker pop-up box, you have the option to publish a selection of sheets, a single sheet, or the entire workbook
- Click Convert to PDF once you’ve selected your conversion range and options. You will be prompted to save the file.
- Combine multiple files into one PDF (optional): Combine the form and any attachments that have been converted or saved as PDFs into one PDF file
The lead page in the PDF file should always be the signature page. Subsequent pages should be assembled in a logical, easy to follow order and include receipts and other supporting documents.
You can also use the Adobe toolbar to add referencing and highlighting, as necessary.
Part 2 - Get the form signed using DocuSign
- Go to docusign.charlotte.edu
- Type in your email address, then click Continue
- Enter your UNC Charlotte single sign-on credentials
- Select the Manage tab at the top of the screen
- Select New > Send an Envelope
- Click Upload then navigate to the applicable PDF file and upload it to DocuSign
Add recipients to the envelope. Once the file finishes uploading, add your recipients’ information (starting with yourself if you need to sign).
It's a good idea to click the box that says Set signing order to ensure the document is signed in the correct order
- Select Needs to Sign from the dropdown list to the right of the name field
- If you’d like to add a message to the recipient, select Add private message from the Customize dropdown menu. This message will only go to that recipient.
- Continue to add recipients as needed by clicking Add recipient and entering each individual’s information (as indicated in the previous step)
- Click Next, the gold button in the green ribbon bar at the top right-hand side of the screen
- Make sure the signer’s name is selected in the drop-down list located above the Standard Fields section on the left-hand side of the screen
- Drag the Signature from the Standard Fields to the applicable line of the form you want the selected recipient to sign
- Click on Date Signed in the Standard Fields and drag it to the applicable line of the form you want to be dated
- Repeat the above two steps for all recipients (make sure you select the correct recipient for each signature line from the drop-down box)
- Click the Send button located in the green ribbon bar at the top right-hand side of the screen
- If you are the first recipient that needs to sign, you will get a pop-up box that gives you a choice to Sign Now or Sign Later. If you choose to sign now, click the Sign Now button. The document will open and automatically insert the date signed. Click on the Sign icon, and it will insert your electronic signature.
- To complete the signature process, click the Finish button from the green ribbon bar located at the top right-hand side of the screen
- The document will be automatically sent to the next recipient
Part 3 – Downloading and saving files
- You should receive an email notification that the document has been completed, i.e., signed by everyone
- Sign in to docusign.uncc.edu and navigate to the Manage tab
- Select Completed from the Quick Views left-hand menu
- Select the check box next to the applicable completed document and click Download
- In the download pop-up box, both the ‘Document’ and the ‘Certificate of Completion’ PDF files should be automatically selected (you can combine all PDFs into one file by selecting that checkbox). Click Download.
Part 4- Submit document via the Information Document Submission (IDS) eForm
If a document is submitted through IDS, do not submit a hard copy via campus mail.
At this time, you may still print off and send in hard copies instead of using the IDS eForm. However, using the IDS eForm is the more efficient submission method.
- Log into the IDS imaging form using your NinerNet single sign on credentials
- Select Disbursements (travel documents) from the department drop-down list
- Select the appropriate document type
- Complete all other applicable fields
- Select Attachments > Add to submit the signed pdf
- Navigate to the applicable completed (i.e., signed) PDF file you downloaded above and add it. Click OK.
- Click Submit to complete the IDS eform and it will automatically be routed to Disbursement’s imaging queue
- Departments should retain any hard copies of forms submitted for at least 10 days after the date electronically submitted to Disbursements
Payment status contact info.
Email Disbursements at firstname.lastname@example.org to check the status of a payment. The IDS eForm provides a way to submit documents to Disbursements for processing not to check the status of a payment.
Additional resources are available at DocuSign FAQs