Step 1. Student → Check if you can defend your proposal
Step 2. Student → Make sure you are on track
- You are strongly recommended to defend your proposal within 3 years since entering the Ph.D.
- You must defend your proposal within ten semesters since entering the Ph.D. Or you will be terminated from the program.
Step 3. Student → 2 months before the proposal, start getting the proposal date and time
- Student → Consult with your advisor, to come up with as "many" dates and times. Schedule a minimum of two hours for your defense.
- Student → Check with your committee members to get the date and time that works for everyone.
- Tip → Use Doodle form
Step 4. Student → 1 months before the proposal, send the proposal information to the program coordinator
- Student → Email the following info to the program coordinator
- Which track = CS, SIS, BISOM
- When is your defense = e.g. Monday, July 30, 1:00 pm
- Where is your defense = e.g. Woodward 338
- Title of your proposal
- Dissertation Advisor
- Tip for the student → we are asking this information to create something like this (LINK)
- Student → Complete Request to Schedule Proposal Defense form (CCI PhD Proposal Defense). The Director of Graduate Studies will receive the form once all faculty have signed it.
- Student → Recommended to share the "draft" of the proposal to the committee members
- Student → Student needs to schedule Zoom Meeting (https://zoom.uncc.edu)
Step 5. Student → 2 weeks before the proposal, share the proposal with the committee
- Student→ Provide copies of the written proposal to the Committee members
- Tip → sharing a Dropbox link or Google Drive link helps you to keep updating and ensuring that the committee members always have the latest copy
- Program coordinator
→Save the announcement under student's folder in Team Drive / Dept-CCI-CIS Ph.D. / Student Records
- Program coordinator → announce the proposal defense by email.
- Email to CCI-EVERYBODY@listserv.uncc.edu and CCI-SIS-PhD-Students@listserv.uncc.edu and CCI-CS-PhD-Students@listserv.uncc.edu
Step 6. Student → day of the proposal defense, print the forms
- Student → Send these forms to your committee members
- one dissertation proposal rubrics sheet for each member of the committee - Dissertation Proposal Rubrics
- the proposal defense report: Dissertation Proposal Form
- Fill out the names in the form before the proposal defense.
Step 7. Research Advisor → day of the proposal defense, record the outcome
- Research Advisor→ record the outcome on the proposal defense report. See the step #6
- Check "Passed" or "Failed"
- Get signatures of the committee members.
- Research Advisor → get all committee members (including yourself) to fill out two rubrics forms. See the step #6
- For each row, circle one of the columns
- Write the name of the committee member on the top of the page
- Research Advisor → Return the forms to the program coordinator.
- proposal defense report
Step 8. Program Coordinator → after the proposal defense, file the outcome
- Program coordinator→ Record pass/fail and rubrics grade on Rubrics Spreadsheet - (Proposal Defense Rubrics in Team Drive)
- Go to the Tab of the semester
- Simply average all values from all categories and all committee members for
- Research Proposal
- Oral Presentation and Communication
- Scan the rubrics sheets to Team Drive - (Student Records folder of Team Drive)
- Program coordinator → Record the outcome on the master CIS Student Tracking File - (CIS PhD Students in Team Drive)
- Go to the "Current" tab
- Go to the column for "Proposal" (Column N and O)
- Record the Date and Outcome
- Program coordinator → add the student to the CCIPHDCANDIDATESfirstname.lastname@example.org
- How do I update CCIPHDCANDIDATESemail@example.com?