Can't Find What You Need?

Have a Suggestion?

Browse by Category

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Tell Me

Faculty/staff and students who are traveling outside of the U.S. have options for using Duo.

If you will have your mobile device:

  1. Use the Duo app on your mobile device (phone or tablet) to generate a passcode to use for authentication - see this FAQ for instructions
    1. The Duo app will generate passcodes even if your mobile device is not connected to wifi or a cellular network

      Beginning in March 2019, China (Mainland/People’s Republic of China) put into place regulations that affect phone callback authentication deliverability. Due to these regulations, phone call authentication can be considered an unreliable authentication method to use for China-based Duo users attempting to call their devices.  The Duo App should be used.  See this link for more information on using Duo Mobile in China.

If you will NOT have your mobile device (for faculty/staff):

  1. If you have access to cell phones or landlines while outside the U.S., that phone can be temporarily enrolled in Duo and used for authentication
    1. See this FAQ for adding devices in Duo
    2. Upon your return, these temporary devices should be removed from Duo - see this FAQ for instructions
  2. Use the Get Duo Code page
  3. Use a FOB - see this FAQ for more information

    As of May 5, 2022, Duo began blocking authentications from users whose IP address originate from a country or region subject to economic and trade sanctions enforced by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control.  Please see this FAQ for more information.

    The Duo Mobile app and Duo fob are subject to Export Control Regulations, contain controlled cryptographic technology, and may not be taken to U.S. sanctioned countries such as Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, Sudan, the Crimea region, Sevastopol region, Donetsk region, and Luhansk region. Before traveling to any U.S. sanctioned countries, you must delete the Duo Mobile app from any devices you will take with you and you must not bring a Duo fob. While traveling, you may use other Duo options described in this FAQ, such as a phone call or passcodes.

    If traveling outside of the U.S. with University owned Duo fobs, please complete the Checklist for International Travel with University-Owned Equipment prior to traveling. Please contact the University Export Control Officer ( before traveling to an embargoed country.

For more options, please contact the IT Service Desk, 704-687-5500, see this web page for hours of operation

See this Duo Travel Guide for more hints on traveling safely

Related FAQs

Page viewed times