Can't Find What You Need?
Have a Suggestion?
Browse by Category
The IRS released Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate in January 2020, which is vastly different from the old Form W-4 (there are no longer allowances, but rather five sections to review). Access this form in my.charlotte.edu from the Banner Self Service quick links. While you are not required to complete this form, it should be more accurate for individual withholdings. Please note: if you do not submit a new form, withholding will continue based on your previously submitted form.
Federal: Refer to the complete Form W-4 instructions before completing the online W-4 withholding form.North Carolina: Refer to Form NC-4 instructions before completing the online NC-4 withholding form. If you are performing services for the University from a state other than NC, you will need to complete that state's withholding certificate and mail or fax it to the Payroll Department. Reference the delivery methods toward the bottom of this FAQ. For security purposes, do not email a form that contains your social security number.
Unless you update your W-4 and NC-4 withholding information, your federal and state income tax withholding will default to single when you are originally hired and will continue to reflect those elections. Employees hired on Jan. 1, 2020, or later, are required to complete the 2020 Form W-4 for federal payroll tax withholding purposes.
Employees can complete their Form W-4 (Employee's Withholding Certificate) and NC-4 (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate) to update their withholding anytime through my.charlotte.edu as follows:
3. Click the 'four square' navigation button found at the top left of the Employee Dashboard to open the Banner navigation menu.
4. Click on Banner then click on Employee Information
5. Click on Tax Information
6. Select the withholding tax form you would like to update from the Tax Information list, either the NC-4 Tax Exemptions (NC State Form) or the W-4 Tax Exemptions (Federal Form W-4)
7. Your current withholding selection will be displayed in the Federal Form W-4 and North Carolina NC-4 Tax Exemption screens. Click Update at the bottom of the screen to edit the form selected
8. Follow the screen instructions to edit the existing withholding information. Click the Certify Changes button at the bottom of the screen to complete your withholding update
Make sure your personal (non-charlotte mailing address and phone number are current in Banner by following these FAQ instructions.
9. Read the attestation statement that pops up and click OK if you have complied with aspects of this attestation
10. A confirmation screen will appear, letting you know that your requested updates were successfully processed
Update your Form W-4 and NC-4 when your personal or financial situation changes to update the amounts of federal and state income tax withheld from your pay. Employees are encouraged to use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator as a review to ensure their withholding is correct.
Note: if you do not submit a new form, withholding will continue based on your previously submitted form. For more information, visit the Financial Services website.
If you do not have access to the online tax information at my.charlotte.edu, contact the Payroll Department to determine if your job has been set up in Banner and what the effective date is for that job. Once your job is set up and the effective date is current, you will be able to access your tax forms online.
You may complete a paper Employee's Withholding Certificate (Form W-4 or NC-4) and securely deliver the form(s) to the Payroll Department using one of the following delivery methods:
|Hand deliver the form(s) to the Payroll Department on the 3rd floor of the Reese building.||Mail the form(s) via campus or regular mail to UNC Charlotte Attn: Payroll Department, Reese 3rd Floor, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223|
Fax the form(s) to our secure fax at 704-687-1416.
We cannot guarantee the clarity of faxed copies received in the Payroll Department.
Security note: For security purposes, do not email forms that include your social security number.
Contact Information: Email PayrollDept@charlotte.edu with questions (for security purposes, DO NOT include your social security number). Do include your full name and your UNC Charlotte ID number (800/801#) with your correspondence.